The American Board of Plastic Surgery (the Board) was founded in 1937 and has been for the past 75 years committed to its mission “to promote safe, ethical, efficacious plastic surgery to the public by maintaining high standards for the education, examination, certification, and maintenance of certification of plastic surgeons as specialists and sub specialists.” It is the ONLY BOARD recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialists that pertains to Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery. It should NOT be confused with other “self designated” boards that have similar names but are not recognized as equivalent in training.
The requirements for the American Board of Plastic Surgery are as follows:
- Graduate from an accredited medical school
- Have a active license to practice medicine in the state where residing
- Complete a full residency training in an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accredited residency program in one of the following general surgery (including the Vascular Surgery Board of the American Board of Surgery), neurological surgery, orthopedic surgery, otolaryngology, thoracic surgery, or urology. Followed by 3 years in a accredited independent ACGME accredited Plastic Surgery residency program
- Complete a minimum of six years of training in a integrated ACGME accredited Plastic Surgery residency program
- Receive a endorsement from the Plastic Surgery Residency Program Director that the candidate successfully completed and met the criteria for graduating from the ACGME approved Plastic Surgery residency training program.
- Continue in independent practice for a minimum of six months after completing a accredited Plastic Surgery tiring program.
- During this above independent practice period it is required that a log of all operative reports (verified by a medical records custodian) be submitted to a panel of board-certified plastic surgeons (who represent the American Board of Plastic Surgery). Upon acceptance of the log contents (meeting both quality quantity criteria) the candidate is then required to provide a case history, preoperative and postoperative photographs of selected cases which he/she has performed. Only now is the candidate able to apply to take the oral (certifying) exam.
- Successfully pass BOTH a comprehensive and rigorous written (qualifying exam) and oral (certifying) examination.
More information about the American Board of Plastic Surgery can be found from the following contact information: The American Board of Plastic Surgery Seven Penn Center, Suite 4001635 Market Street Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103-2204. Telephone: 215-587-9322
Ready to reverse some years? Call our office (951) 686-7600 today!
How to Find/Choose the Best/Top Plastic Surgeon? Part 1: What does it take to become a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Part 1: What does it take to become a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon I am often asked by friends, patients and those interested on how one becomes a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. How to choose The Best/Top Plastic Surgeon and what questions to ask during a consultation. Thus, I have created a 3 part document addressing […]READ FULL BLOG POST
Imagine: A Team that Truly Cares About You!
In addition to Dr. Hardesty’s staff brings a high degree of skill to an array of surgical and non-surgical rejuvenation treatments. Patients rave about how deeply our team cares about their well-being. At Imagine Plastic Surgery your experience will reach beyond facial and body revitalization. You are becoming part of a unique family who places your welfare and satisfaction, first and foremost.
For over 30 years Dr. Hardesty, an award winning, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, has proudly served Riverside and San Bernardino counties of the Inland Empire, namely the communities of Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Upland, Corona, Chino Hills and Redlands. Additionally, we are pleased that patients travel from throughout Southern California, including Beverly Hills and Newport Beach, as well as other areas of America. We welcome one and all to our family of superior aesthetic specialists!
What is the cost?
At Imagine Plastic Surgery, we offer a variety a different procedures that all vary in prices. We strive in being transparent to all potential patients and being up front with how much our services may cost. For more information regarding the costs and prices, visit our plastic surgery prices page!COST OF PLASTIC SURGERY