Posted by Dr. Hardesty
Body contouring is optimally performed when one achieves their ideal weight. However, some of the procedures below can be performed before that weight is attained.
The following is an overview of body contouring options that contain additional and more specific information on each procedure or technology mentioned below.
The “best” is difficult to determine and depends on a personal exam and discussion of your desires, your anatomy, your goals, the benefits and the limitations of the particular technology or procedure. I often combine both surgical and non-surgical technology to achieve a superior result that I couldn’t otherwise achieve with only one procedure or technology. We refer to this combination of treatments as synergy, simply explained on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the absolute best result — 1 + 1 = 3, 5, 6 or even a 10!
For clarification, body contouring (by fat reduction) can be divided into two major categories:
There are various technologies that are non-surgical and they include but are not limited to the following:
- Ultrasound (Ultrashape)
- Freezing (Coolsculpt)
- Radio Frequency (RF)
- Topical (Vellashape III, Thermi Smooth)
- Injectable (Thermi Tight)
- Injectable enzymes (Kybella)
- Topical laser (Zerona)
I personally use Ultrashape, Vellashape III, Thermi and Kybella for those patients who after discussion would like a non-surgical alternative. Depending on the anatomical area and only after clear and realistic expectations, will we proceed.
Liposuction is the gold standard for fat removal of diet-resistant fat. There are various types including but not limited to the following:
- Suction-assisted liposuction (SAL)
- Ultrasonic-assisted liposuction (UAL)
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL)
- Laser-assisted. liposuction (LAL)
- Water-assisted liposuction (WAL)
These are all effective methods and are secondary to the experience of the plastic surgeon with the particular liposuction technology.
In addition to lipo-sculpting, many of us have added non-surgical methods to shrink skin after liposculpture using RF devices. Two such devices I personally use are Vellashape III and Thermi Tight.
There are five types of abdominoplasties. A-C all have horizontal incisions and D has a significant vertical component. Please see our blog Body Contouring: Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck).
1. Mini— muscle tightened below umbilicus to pubic bone.
2. Standard— muscle tightened from breast bone to pubic bone.
3. Extended — as in standard but the incision is longer to excise excess skin and fat in the outer thigharea.
4. Fleur de Lis — same as standard but in addition, excess skin and fat is excised in a verticaldirection.
5. Reverse Abdominoplasty— places scar under the breast line and usually for limited fat and skin excision as well as isolated to the upper abdominoplasty.
Each of the above procedures (and the various categories) have their benefits and limitations, and need a personal examination as well as discussion with an experienced plastic surgeon who uses all options.
What is the cost?
At Imagine Plastic Surgery, we offer a variety a different procedures that all vary in prices. We strive in being transparent to all potential patients and being up front with how much our services may cost. For more information regarding the costs and prices, visit our plastic surgery prices page!COST OF PLASTIC SURGERY