Get the Gift of Beautiful Breasts
Many large breasted women find themselves wanting a reduction. Large breasts aren’t always desirable because they can cause pain, draw unwanted attention, limit exercise, result in indentions in the shoulders from bra straps and discomfort in the back, as well as problems finding proper fitting clothing. Dr. Hardesty listens intently to his patients to understand their concerns so that he can create a unique treatment plan for them.
Breast Reduction, also known as reduction mammaplasty surgery, is a common procedure among women with enlarged breasts. Uniquely it provides functional improvements and enhances the aesthetic appearance of the breasts. The goal of this procedure is to reduce the breasts so that they are proportionate to the rest of your body. Enlarges breasts can cause many problems for women including back, neck, and shoulder pain. Sometimes breasts are so large that they sag downwards, in this case, a lift may be needed as well. Women may find that their breasts become enlarged for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Genetic conditions
- Breast sagginess
- Skin stretching around the areola
- Hormonal changes
This can result in:
- Breast sagginess
- Skin stretching and stretch marks
- Pendulous appearance
- Wide and disproportionately-large nipple-areolae-complex
- Nipples that point downward
- Poor posture
- Sweating and rashes at the breast crease
- Numbness in some fingers
In keeping with our philosophy of, “One Goal, Many Options,” we, at Imagine Plastic Surgery, will offer you a customized treatment plan and not “a one size fits all” approach to breast reduction surgery. We will present to you several options for breast reduction.
Dr. Hardesty will take into account your skin quality, elasticity, and level of sagging to choose an incision. The pattern will also depend on where the nipple-areola complex is positioned on the breasts. The incisions used in the procedure depend upon the goals for the procedure and the amount of breast tissue to be removed. Typically, the incisions may start and be located in a circular shape around the areolae. For more advanced and significantly large breasts, additional incisions may be needed.
The different incisions are:
- Micro-Incisions: This type of incision is used for breasts that are fatty and not sagging. Liposuction is used to decrease breast size. Small incisions are created to allow the tube to enter the breast for liposuction.
- Donut Incision: This type of incision, also called a “periareolar incision”, is made around the areolas.
- Keyhole Incision: This incision, also called a “lollipop incision”, is made around the areola then vertically down to the breast crease.
- Anchor Incision: This is a very common technique used by most plastic surgeons, this incision is made around the areolas then, vertically down to the breast crease, then met with a third incision along the breast crease. This is typically used for significantly large and sagging breasts.
- Free nipple graft technique: when the amount of tissue is significant and the required amount to be respected could potentially interrupt the viability to the nipple this technique is utilized. The resultant scars are very similar to the anchor breast reduction technique.
Dr. Hardesty uses the latest techniques to provide an enhancement that is ideal for individual patient needs. Depending on the needs and desires of the patient, different techniques may be used for the procedure. There are several techniques that may be used in breast reduction surgery, including:
- Liposuction to remove excess fat and reshape the form of the breasts
- Excision of excess glandular tissue
- Excision of excess skin tissue
- Reduce the areolae size to a more proportional appearance
- Lift the breasts to an appropriate position
"Doctor Hardesty and his staff are absolutely phenomenal! The care he gives, his knowledge, and his time given is priceless. All of his staff are very caring and professional individuals. Any questions I have had or concerns have been dealt with professionally, quickly, and beyond my satisfaction. I can't say enough about his staff and the caliber of doctor that he is." -Verified Google Review
Before & After
Dr. Hardesty will provide detailed pre-operative and post-operative instructions for you to follow in order for recovery to be as smooth as possible. Recovery from breast reduction surgery is typically relatively brief. Usually, most patients can return to full daily, non-strenuous activity in several days. Progressive activities with no restrictions after 6 weeks, including exercising. In fact, the procedure is less painful than many other plastic surgery procedures. The results from breast reduction surgery are usually instantaneous. Many of the physical complaints of neck pain, back pain, poor posture, breast crease sweats, and rashes are gone. If you are concerned about the scars, utilizing Dr. Hardesty’s anti scaring and preventive scarring program, the scars typically fade over time. Many women enjoy their results immediately and for years to come.
The cost of a breast reduction is not definitive. You need to take in the experience of the doctor, area where they practice, and all medical costs to have the surgery done. If you have any financial questions or concerns our team at Imagine Plastic Surgery can answer those for you.
A breast reduction surgery is no more dangerous than any other type of invasive surgery. Some other side effects may include bruising, swelling, or difficulty breastfeeding. Dr. Hardesty will go over all of the details of the procedure and possible side effects with you.
Getting a breast reduction is typically about personal preference if you feel your breasts are too big or if they cause you pain and discomfort. If you experience a lot of pain in the back, neck, and shoulders then a breast reduction may be a good option for you.
Interested in finding out more about Breast Reduction? If you are then we encourage you to contact Dr. Hardesty and the team at Imagine Plastic Surgery. To schedule a consultation, just call our Riverside office, take our self-assessment survey, or fill out an online contact form and one of our team members will be in touch.