Posted by Dr. Hardesty
Otoplasty or “ear pinning” is one the most satisfying and highly rated procedure for both the patient and the Plastic Surgeon.
- Stop smoking, vaping or any type of inhalation of tobacco. Why? Any inhaled smoking compounds decrease vascularity to the tissue and can result in tissue loss and ear flap necrosis
- If your otoplasty or ear pinning is being performed under general anesthesia:
– stop all hormonal birth control
– stop all female hormones
- Stop all medication that may abnormally affect blood clotting. Check with your pharmacist if any questions. Common over the counter medications includes aspirin, Aleve, ibuprofen, etc.
- Tylenol is safe to take before surgery
- Begin twice daily antiseptic showers
- Begin twice daily application of antibiotics in your ear, nostrils, and umbilicus (tummy button).
– purchased wide “sweatband” or “beanie” for post-operative protection of the ears. Should fit firmly but not too tight.
– Make sure all your prescriptions are filled
- no alcohol beverages
- If undergoing general anesthesia nothing orally after midnight or at least 8 hours before surgery.
- make sure you have purchased wide headbands and beanies
- final shower with antiseptic soap and antibiotic ointment in ears, nostrils and tummy button.
- wear a button-down or zippered shirt/blouse
- if having anxiety take a Valium as prescribed
- if undergoing general anesthesia place anti-nausea patch on the inside of an arm.
- if otoplasty or ear pinning is being performed under local anesthesia take an antibiotic pill just prior to surgery.
Before & After
When surgery is over:
- You will be placed in a large “turbine” dressing for 24 hours.
- Pain relief: Your ear and surrounding tissue have been injected with a long-lasting local anesthetic agent. Take the prescribed pain killer and alternate with over the counter pain medication
- Anti-swelling: keep head elevated above the heart and may place ice packs over turbin dressing.
- Return to the office for removal of turbin dressing
- There will be expected mild to moderate swelling and bruising
- Continue with ice packs in the cloth covering
- Clean the backside of the ear with 1/2 strength hydrogen peroxide and water and apply antibiotic ointment 2-3 times a day.
- When sleeping use wide head sweatband or beanie to prevent accidental pullback of the ear and resultant suture rupture.
- Absorbable skin sutures usually have disappeared
- Most of the swelling and bruising has resolved
- Pain should be gone or almost nonexistent
- Progressive non-high implant exercising is acceptable unless swelling and or pain.
- After all absorbable sutures have resolved start preventative liquid silicone scar gel.
- Nighttime or sleeping with wide sweat headband or beanie not necessary.
- Continue use of anti-scar liquid scar gel for 3 months.
Cosmetic Surgery Prices / Cost
Average cost of popular Plastic Surgery Procedures Blog Contents: I. “COMPARING APPLES TO APPLES” II. TOTAL COSTS III. SOURCES OF PUBLISHED COSTS As in life, decisions are made on multitude of data points and an obvious one is total costs and fees. If you are buying an auto, you can easily compare similar models and […]READ FULL BLOG POST
The fees are based on the anesthesia used (local vs sedation or general anesthesia), the facility (minor surgical suite, outpatient operating room or hospital setting) and if combined with other procedures. All pre and post-operative care are included. Some preoperative laboratory analysis may be required (usually covered by your medical insurance).
Otoplasty or “ear pinning” surgery is very gratifying to both the Plastic Surgeon and the patient. When the instructions have followed the complication, the rate is low.
The most important factor to consider is seeking the opinion and services of a skilled, experienced and Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon who are experts in otoplasty or ear pinning techniques. The Imagine Plastic Surgery team uniquely provides the full array of both non-surgical and surgical alternatives to thus, filling our motto of “One Goal, Many Options”. For more information, call and schedule a consultation.
One Goal, Many Options
The most important factor to consider for your procedure or treatment is seeking the opinion and services of a skilled, experienced and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who are experts in techniques. The Imagine Plastic Surgery team uniquely provides the full array of both non surgical and surgical alternatives thus filling our motto of “One Goal, Many Options.” For over 30 years Dr. Hardesty, an award winning, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, has proudly been serving Riverside and San Bernardino counties of the Inland Empire and the communities of Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Upland, Corona, Chino Hills and Redlands. For over 30 years Dr. Hardesty and the Staff of Imagine Plastic Surgery have provided comprehensive Cosmetic Plastic Surgery services and procedures to Riverside and San Bernardino counties of the Inland Empire and the communities of Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Upland, Corona, Chino Hills and Redlands.
What is the cost?
At Imagine Plastic Surgery, we offer a variety a different procedures that all vary in prices. We strive in being transparent to all potential patients and being up front with how much our services may cost. For more information regarding the costs and prices, visit our plastic surgery prices page!COST OF PLASTIC SURGERY