Congratulations on your weight loss!
Thank you for your story. Unfortunately without a examination I can advise you in general terms, however I hope you will find them helpful.
1) your weight should be stable for 3-6 months
2) a letter and lab from your Bariatric physician that you are cleared for abdominoplasty.
3)your entire medical history would need be reviewed prior to surgery.
4) there are a few technical nuances but nothing a experienced Plastic Surgeon can’t do.
Some additional information:
After pregnancy and/or weight loss several physiological events occur that can not be corrected with just diet and exercise:
1) the skin looses some of its visco/elastic properties (ability to recoil) from being stretched. With further weight loss or liposuction the skin will sag further.
2) the space between two two rectus abdomenis muscles (which run from your rib cage to the pubic bone) become larger and does not return to their pre pregnancy/weight loss position referred to as diastasis recti. This results in the abdominal bulge when the muscles are relaxed.
3) in addition a c-section scar can aggravate the appearance of the hanging skin because of the scar attachment to the underlying tissues.
Liposuction alone will reduce the the amount fat, however the skin will hang more.
Liposuction is often incorporated/included with a abdominoplasty to help contour the flank areas (love handles/hip areas).
However it is not advised to perform liposuction of the upper abdomen at the time of abdominoplasty for fear of injuring the blood vessels that supply the lower abdominal tissue. This liposuction can often be completed under local anesthesia several months after healing of the abdominal incision.
I recommend that you:
1) make a list of your questions
2) make several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally they are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).
Imagine: A Team that Truly Cares About You!
In addition to Dr. Hardesty’s staff brings a high degree of skill to an array of surgical and non-surgical rejuvenation treatments. Patients rave about how deeply our team cares about their well-being. At Imagine Plastic Surgery your experience will reach beyond facial and body revitalization. You are becoming part of a unique family who places your welfare and satisfaction, first and foremost.
For over 30 years Dr. Hardesty, an award winning, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, has proudly served Riverside and San Bernardino counties of the Inland Empire, namely the communities of Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Upland, Corona, Chino Hills and Redlands. Additionally, we are pleased that patients travel from throughout Southern California, including Beverly Hills and Newport Beach, as well as other areas of America. We welcome one and all to our family of superior aesthetic specialists!
What is the cost?
At Imagine Plastic Surgery, we offer a variety a different procedures that all vary in prices. We strive in being transparent to all potential patients and being up front with how much our services may cost. For more information regarding the costs and prices, visit our plastic surgery prices page!COST OF PLASTIC SURGERY